Sunday, May 06, 2007

Fun Harper Ride/Another trail reason

Saturday i had what was for me one of the more fun harper rides that i've had in a long time. My buddy Tim Henry from Project 5 and I left my house at 6am to ride out to harper. Once we joined the harper ride we eventually ended up in a break together with Robert Krone of Team Mack. The three of us worked together pretty well and by the time we got to River Rd in algonquin, we had a lead of 2:15. Tim and i peeled off at that point to go home and left Robert to battle on his own. Now i read that at the end of the ride there was a crash that took out a couple of guys. The harper ride has seemed to be getting a little chippier since it has started to get so big. Maybe more on that later. In any case the ride has me feeling pretty good about racing next week.

Last week i had another reminder why I don't like riding on bike paths. Near the end of a ride I was on the trail and coming up on a section that has an s curve in it. As I approched the curve I could see thru the trees that someone was coming from the other direction. I slowed down to make sure i could negotiate the turn while staying on my side of the trail. Once thru the turn my worst fears were confirmed. About 30 feet in front of me was a guy on a department store mountain bike, wearing 80's era walkman headphones and thick glasses, staring up and to his left at the tress, and IN MY LANE! I yelled a warning to him which scared him so much I don't know how he kept his bike up. Insane.

I go to sleep now.

No comments: