Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Chicago Crit - thankful i got out alive

It was awesome to be able to race in grant park again. I don't think there's been a race down there since the late 80's. Project 5 had 8 of us in the 3's field and it was such a blast to race with such a full team. I can't remember the last time i was in a race and every time i turned to look for a teammate i saw one.

I pretty much tried to stay at the front for most of the race. Covered some moves, tried a move or two of my own but nothing was getting away. Our priority was to get Tim in good position so he could start his sprint from 5th or 6th place instead of 20 or 30 back. With about 6 laps to go I asked tim to let me know when he wanted to move up. Before he even was able to respond he saw an opening and took it and left me there sitting mid pack. I rode out the rest of the race in the middle and on the last lap saw that tim was in a good spot and took it easy. You just had the feeling there was going to be a crash and sure enough in the last turn a whole bunch of guys went down. It was kind of in 2 waves. First some went down on the inside and slid to the middle. Then there seemed to be a second or 2 when you thought it was done and then a bunch of other guys went into the barriers on the outside of the turn. I was able to come to almost a complete stop and weave my way thru the carnage and softpedaled into the finish. Tim ended up 2nd so we are all happy with how the race went.

The reason i'm so thankful is not because i survived the crash but because monday night i found a crack in my frame. Right above the derailer hanger there's a crack that travels all around the frame. i had been trying to solve a creaking issue for a couple of days and after an easy recovery ride last night i found it. Big bummer.

Since i'm not one of the guys who has 3 road bikes, a mountian bike, and a cross bike, i'm SOL right now. I'm scrambling to try and put something together before this weekend. Wish me luck. Anybody have a 60cm frame?

No comments: