Tuesday, June 30, 2009

RTOTS Stage 3 - Hog Pen Gap and Unicoi Gap Loop

Stage 3 - Hog Pen Gap - Unicoi Gap Loop
6/20/09
86.61km
03:34:37
1590m/5217ft climbing






Woke up this morning to thankfully less fog. I was actually able to see some of the beauty around me. This route was the same all the way to Brasstown Bald but instead of climbing it I just kept going. This loop is basically what they call the Scenic Byway loop. It goes by Brasstown Bald and then over Hog Pen Gap down into the town of Helen and then back to Hiawassee over Unicoi Gap.

Brasstown Bald sits right on the county line and as soon as you pass the entrance to Brasstown Bald you cross the county line, and start enjoying the different road surface. Definitely rougher than the other roads but it’s a long straight descent from Brasstown Bald down to Hwy 348. Once on 348 you start climbing back up into the mountains and eventually start the long hard climb up to Hog Pen Gap. This climb was hard. I spent almost all of it in my 27 tooth cog. There’s no 20% stuff like on Brasstown but it’s still long and hard. This climb seems to climb along the side of the mountain and doesn’t have too many switchbacks. Mostly long curvy roads along the side of the mountain. About 500m from the top I noticed one of those road reflectors from the center line had busted and was sitting on the side of the road. I stopped and picked up my official Hog Pen Gap Climb souvenir. The view right at the top isn’t much but just either side of the gap there are turnouts for some beautiful views.


On the descent back down to Helen I finally started feeling comfortable on the descents and was beginning to really have some fun. Not having much experience with stuff like this you soon figure out what a 35mph corner is versus a 15mph corner and how fast you can go thru each on a bike. Once you turn off of 348 and turn on 17 the traffic increases a little and you begin the climb towards Unicoi Gap. This climb is completely different than Hog Pen. I would say it’s a little easier than Hog Pen but a lot more fun because it’s a lot of switchbacks and more mountain like.

On the way up I saw a bunch of cyclist on their sat. morning group ride flying down the other way. All of them were way skinnier than me. Made me think I probably wouldn’t like living here cause almost every route includes a major climb. That would make the group rides not as fun.

Once over Unicoi you make the descent down more switchbacks and sharp turns. After coming off that climb I started running low on fumes. My 2.5hr plan was turning into a 3.5hr plan and I was getting tired. I just had enough water and got back to our campground just as I was about to bonk. Any longer and I would have been in some trouble.





Here's a video of the descent of Hog Pen Gap. Not mine but it gives you a good idea of the fun.


This video is of a motorcycle ride up and over unicoi gap going north, the way i went.

No comments: