Friday, September 16, 2011

New Bars on the Cross Bike

Long story short is that my back has been messed up since may.  Raced a bit thru July then called it quits. I've been riding again now for a few weeks but it's all easy endurance paced riding until i can do that pain free.

About a month ago i dropped the chain on my road bike and it sucked my derailleur into my rear wheel.  Shredded the derailleur as well as bent the dropout/hanger.  I'm sitting on the frame for a bit before i send it back to Trek to have the dropout replaced.


Since then i've been riding my cross bike.  When i built the cross bike last year i threw my old road bars on it that were 42cm.  My road bike is now a 44cm bars and i always felt a little cramped with the 42cm bars.

This week i bought a 44cm wide handle bars and i can't believe how much better it feels.  Now the cross bike feels like my bike.  Now i'm really loving this bike.  

Also i grabbed some Forte Grip-Tec Handlebar Tape.   This was the first time i've used this stuff and i have to say it's gotta be the easiest tape installation i've ever done.  Great tape to work with and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg.  It's quite comfy as well.  We'll see how it's durability is.

2 comments:

cycling supplies said...

I don't get this. "Shredded the derailleur as well as bent the dropout/hanger. " Could you please enlighten me on this? I keep following all your posts hope you can regularly post more. I get very useful information here. Thanks for having this.



cycling supplies

Ron Cook said...

cycling supplies,

thanks for the comment.

when i dropped my chain i was on a recovery ride just exploring roads i hadn't been on before. I was on a little climb that was curing to the left. when i went to shift to my small chainring it came off. I guess because i was on a left turn I heard the slack chain rubbing against the spokes of my rear wheel. Next thing i heard was a big crunch. when i stopped and looked down, the chain had caught on the spokes got sucked into the wheel. when the slack chain was gone, the derailleur followed.

now i couldn't have been going more than 10mph but i couldn't believe the damage. The pulley cage was bent beyond recognition and one of the pulleys was broken. Also part of the derailleur body was broken. Then of course the derailleur hanger on the bike was bent and with that frame you can't just order a new hanger. It's a factory repair.

As far as blogging, i haven't had a ton to write about. It's been a bad winter/spring but now i'm finally getting back into things. I do have a story to tell about seeing my friend almost get hit by a car while out on a ride though.