Wednesday, February 07, 2007

VO2max Test

Well 3 months of not really doing any training showed this morning as I went to the Gatorade Sports Science Institute for a VO2max test. After warming up for 10 minutes on the bike you start at 100 watts for 3 minutes, then 200 watts for 3 minutes, 300 watts for 3 minutes then 400 for 1 minute followed by 25 watt increases every minute.

The whole test you have your nose plugged and you are breathing into a tube. The machine measures how much oxygen you use. By 400 watts I was starting to suffer and my cadence was dropping. When they switched it to 425 watts it became really hard and my mouthpiece came off the machine and I had to stop pedaling. I tried to restart but I was just pedaling squares. I couldn't keep it going so I stopped. It came out to 45.2 ml/kg. Not high enough to get into the study this time.

Both scientists told me that I was very close and that in a couple of months they will be doing another study and that I should be able to score high enough after being back into training for a bit.

Though I'm dissappointed, i am glad that they will be doing another study in a couple of months because I was already wishing this study wasn't so soon because of the off season I've had.

In the midst of all this, training did start for me this week. It's back to the grind but I'm actually looking forward to it. I have a lot of work to do. I gained a bunch of weight but mentally I really needed the break that i had.

Until next time

No comments: