Monday, August 13, 2007

Tour of Elk Grove Village (30+)


The photo above may be just a little bit misleading but it made up for a crummy race for me so let the excuses begin. I kept saying before the race that the only difference between me and my family was that i paid $28 to watch this race. As happens every year and will happen again next year if schedules don't change, the week leading up to the Tour of Elk Grove is one of the busiest weeks i have all year at work. The week ends with me average 5 hours of sleep wed - friday nights. Don't feel to sorry for me cause even though i'm working a ton, i'm having the time of my life. It's our biggest conference of the year and this year the band we had was one of the best collections of chicago area musicians that has been put together in a long time. Probably the best collection of talent i've ever had the pleasure of mixing. Then to top that off I actually got to mix Krik Franklin on sat. morning even though he brought his own audio guy. Since i was working saturday my only option was to race on sunday. Last year that was the 3/4 race but no such luck this year. It would be the 30+ and a stacked 30+ field at that. Based on how i did last year (feeling great even though work was crazy) i preregistered for the 30+ race. Come saturday night i was not feeling good at all. Very tired. When the alarm went off on sunday morning i would have shut it off if I hadn't preregistered. The alarm had woken me out of a very deep sleep and my body was screaming "I'm not done yet!!" After arriving in Elk Grove and suiting up i knew i was in trouble. I had zero energy. Once the race started i was in the middle to rear of the pack. I could not move up and while the legs started to warm up, once we got to the higher intensities i had nothing. I eventually got dropped on the long straight and that's when i noticed that my left crank arm bolt was coming loose. I'd love to say that the crank came loose so that's why i went to the pit and lost a ton of time but no, i got dropped first. The pit crew tightened it for me and helped me get going again but now i was a good minute back so i decided to practice cornering for a while. Eventually there was a group of 4 of us trying to finish out the race. Then 3 then 2. Me and Tim Henry. Just as i had settled into working as hard as i could to finish the race we came up to the finish line to see an official in the middle of the road pulling us off. For whatever reason i decided to raise my arms in a mock victory salute as i crossed the line. I had no idea that my wife was right there and she got a picture of it. So if you know Tim and see him, ask him what he's gonna do with his $500. So it's time to push the reset button and get ready for downers on Saturday. Overall i do feel pretty good so the plan is to take good care of myself this week and have a good showing at downers. See you next time.

No comments: