Sunday, November 01, 2009

2009 Carpenter Cross 4b race

I've been ignoring this blog for a while. I've just been busy and updating friends via facebook and twitter. But i will try to play a little catchup here.

On October 18 i entered my first ever official cyclocross race. I've attended the Carpenter Park Cyclocross race the last 2 years and last winter i finally got my hands on a mtb so i've been practicing and learning the techniques of cross and will be entering a couple of races this year.

I lined up with close to 75 other riders. I felt really good on the warmup lap but knowing that i'm on a mtb and having never done a real race before i opted be conservative at the start. I wanted to be up far enough to avoid the logjam in the first turn but didn't want to get in the way of anybody who could actually win this thing.

I ended up in the top 20 into the first turn and was in front of the first crash in the switchbacks that followed. As soon as i could i would pass whoever i could and after about 1/2 a lap i was at the back of a group of 4 or 5.

As we approched the sled hill i was able to pass a couple of them and after the toilet bowl it was Brian Morresey of XXX racing and i. We were together for almost the rest of the race. On the final lap Brian biffed on his remount after the barrier/creek bed combo and i thought that maybe i could drop him but i couldn't. He caught me and soon dropped me. i was gassed and a Pegasus rider caught and passed me as well. I ended up crossing the line in 10th which i was very happy about.

No comments: