Monday, October 01, 2007

09.30.07 - Fall Fling Criterium #1

So yet again i found myself taking pictures of the finish of the race i entered. I'm still ticked off at myself for dropping out but it wasn't before i totally tanked myself.

I went into this crit wanting to help out the team. I figured i'd try to do what i could so i stayed at the front early. John, Josh, and Jeff did their part by constantly jumping into breaks and steve and i would try to sit on the front and disrupt whatever was going on as far as a chase.
About 30 minutes in I had drifted back in the field a little and decided to move up the right side. Just as i was almost to the front an attack went from the left side and since i was the only abd rider there at that moment i decided to go with the break. I ended up in a group of 5 or 6 and we actually made a nice little gap. I made a couple of tactical mistakes by not making a guy or 2 pull thru.

Then jeff or john (not sure who) bridged up to our group and then kept going. I was happy cause then i had a reason no to take any more pulls. By this time i had been riding at my max for far too long. From the start of the race my heartrate was pretty high and during the whole breakaway i knew the end was coming sooner or later.

Finally the field caught us and i sat as long as i could at the front while we still had a solo rider off the front but then i started to drift back thru the field. I was done. I ended up getting dropped and then spun a couple of easy laps until i was about to get lapped by the field and then i dropped out.

Not the result i was looking for but i was still happy to be active during the first half of the race. I spent way too much time unshielded on the hill with the massive headwind we had so i'm gonna have to make sure i ride smarter next week.

Here's a couple of pics of the finish.















No comments: