Saturday, March 22, 2008

Chicago Criterium - Old School

With there being a new race this year down in Grant Park it's made me think about the last time i raced down in the city. Also reading some peoples comments on the CBR story about it made me go digging thru my archives and i found some gems. I don't remember even saving this stuff but i have the Chicago Sun Times inserts for both the 1987 and 1988 editions.




The 1987 race was part of a 3 day series that started Friday, Sept. 11 on the Downers Grove course we all know and love. Saturday was a race in Evanston, and Sunday was the Grant Park Circuit. i attended the Downers race and got pictures of andy hampsten and an autograph. Below is the map of all 3 courses.



Above is a recap of the 1987 races from the 1988 edition of the Sun Times insert for the Illinois Criterium Championship.



I raced the 88 crit champ as a junior and as far as i can remember the course was the same as the 1987 race. I don't hardly remember racing but i do remember that day after the race a friend took my bike home and i walked up to north street beach to find my girlfriend and her family who were attending the air and water show. I don't know how i did it without a cell phone but somehow i found them.

No comments: