Saturday, March 08, 2008

Unbelievable

I entered today's ABD indoor time trial not knowing what to expect. I haven't really turned the pedals in anger yet this year and while i've had a good winter of training I haven't gotten as much bike time as i would have liked. I have never done one of these indoor time trials so i wasn't sure how i would do. Looking at the results of previous tt's i was hoping to get somewhere in the 15min range based on the times of the winners.

Well...i did better. 16 riders go at once in 2 groups of eight. as we started i jumped out to an early lead and just tried to keep my cadence up. it was the rolling course so on every hill i would try to keep the power up and as i got over, i would downshift right away and try not relax too much.

About half way thru the 6.0something mile course the pa announcer started paying attention. by this time i had quite a lead over the other seven riders and in my head i was waiting for one or more of them to start to turn it on and hoping i wouldn't fade too much.

As i got towards the last 2 climbs i knew i would probably win the heat but didn't know how well things were going until i heard things like, "these power numbers are usually what we see from guys like mumford..." Hearing stuff like that drove me on. As i got to the last climb i let it all go and actually cracked 600 watts. I finished with a time of 14:35.8

So the final stats as best as i can remember are...
Time: 14:35.8
Avg Watts: 401 or 402
Max Watts: 600+
Avg HR: 183
Max HR: 193

Not only was this time fast enough to win the cat 3, i set the fastest time for the whole day. What a start to the season. I'm still shaking my head.

I have to thank tim henry for bailing me out of mechanical issues this week. without his help i wouldn't have raced today.

PROJECT 5 ROCKS BABY!!!!!

Sleeping with a smile on my face tonight,

ron

No comments: